Friday, November 19, 2010

Here we go!

Hello everyone! On October 27th I became the (sort of) proud owner of a very old, rundown house! I'm very excited, but have a lot of work ahead of me. It is a big time fixer upper; luckily I have lots of free helpers and plenty of ideas for this house. Mostly it just needs lots of love. Here are some pictures of the place as it was the day I moved in!


The front porch/sunroom- obviously needs a lot of work but is handy to block some sound from the busy road out front. Note the lovely "dusty rose" blinds (the very dusty, "dusty rose" blinds!).

The living room- off of the front sun porch, the colours are horrible but under that ugly carpet is a beautiful hardwood floor. Work has begun on ripping out some of those bricks and eventually they will be painted! Just to the right of the fireplace is a door that leads up these sketchy stairs to this sketchy room. It will eventually be a spare room for guests and an office for me!


The next room should be the kitchen, but I don't have pictures of it yet really because it has had stuff in it since about five minutes after I first went in! This is the best I can do for now... sorry! Perhaps the most unattractive thing ever!

Over MY left shoulder in this picture, behind that door was a "mudroom" for lack of a better word that will become the laundry room/half bath very soon. It was pretty nasty when I moved in- check it out. Connected to the mudroom is a really cool, old built-in cupboard that just needs some love to make it super cool. It will be exposed to the kitchen when all is said and done. Next is the master bedroom, although it's not much of a master. It has a laundry room attached to it now which may end up being a closet. It also has the only bathroom in the house.

Check out the faux bois curtain in my bathroom! Where do you even FIND someting like that?

So that is the house as it was but there are projects underway at the moment so things are changing fast! I'll post some project specific photos soon! What do you think? Do I stand a chance of making this place liveable?

5 comments:

  1. Yay! A new blog for me to follow :)

    This will be fun. Also... let me know when you need to do some demolition. I do love to swing a sledge hammer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can do it you can! It is beautiful and has tons of potential! Congrats to you and cannot wait to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I'll certainly tap you in as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on taking this big step . You will have so much fun. A fixer upper is nothing but rewarding!!Trust me-if you had seen the fixer upper we bought in Wallbridge(where Lindsey was born!), you would never believe it. I ripped out lime green shag carpet that smelled like pee and there was old tile underneath. (I waxed it and covered it with an Oriental (Fake) rug that looked ten times better. Then you should have seen the kitchen cupboards-they were shellaced particle board!!!Yup!!So I ripped off all the doors and just had open shelves painted yellow!!! I even had a shingled wall which I also painted yello. The best is yet to come-all along the driveway was a row of big stones all painted bright blue!!!Yup-very tacky. We ordered a huge dumpster and filled it within a week with all the junk. However, it was a project that I spent a year doing. Doug was working and I was supply teaching so had a couple of days each week to work on it. Pure hard labour that was fun as it evolved. Most of it was done without cash as we were pretty poor. Ah, those days are missed.
    I love your Moodroom ideas. You and Lindsey have such creative ideas when it comes to decorating. I cannot wait to see it.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Diana!
    That sounds like it was a lot of work- it gives me hope that this place will eventually come together! Haha! You will have to come by for a glass of wine and a tour sometime! Maybe when Lin gets home you can both drop in and see it.

    ReplyDelete